Whey Protein Concentration/Isolate Production
Benefits of using membrane process:
- Physical way to selectively separate components, compared to ionic exchange
- Low energy requirements, compared to using a direct evaporator
- Better recovery of valuable protein fraction and mineral composition
For WPC, a continuous ultrafiltration system is typically set up stage-by-stage along with diafiltration in later stage to increase the removal efficiency of small non-protein species into the permeate. In the stage-by-stage configuration, the customer typically increases the spacer size of the element to maximize the solid content during the later stage of filtration.For WPI, microfiltration is necessary step to lower the fat content in whey protein. Ultrafiltration is applied to the defatted protein, along with diafiltration for later stage. The resulting WPI product is typically higher in whey protein and lower in fat and lactose than WPC.
Recommended membrane:VT, MT, ST
questions? Fill out this form. We’ll contact you within 24 hours!
- Definition of a Membrane
- Membrane Materials: Organic vs. Inorganic
- Pressure-Driven Membrane Filtration Processes
- Concentration Polarization in Pressure-Driven Processes
- Degrees of Membrane Separation
- Flux Behavior in Membrane Processes